Saturday, March 26, 2011

G is for Galaga

I formulated this yesterday when I was bored.
It was supposed to be a super awesome bonus round question to a bunch of technicians at work for 80's day...
So go grab a rom or a service manual and amuse me.

In the original 1981 release of Galaga, with single player selected, and rapid fire board installed, users can experience what with these dipswitch settings:

SWITCH 6J
SW#1:ON
SW#2:ON
SW#3:OFF
SW#4:ON
SW#5:OFF
SW#6:ON
*SW#7:OFF
SW#8:ON

SWITCH 6K
SW#1: OFF
SW#2: ON
SW#3: OFF
SW#4: OFF
SW5: OFF
SW#6: OFF
SW#7: OFF
SW#8: OFF    


(*not used)

1 comment:

  1. Single player game with 5 ships but extra coins give you 11 ships. Hardest play. Sound plays during "galaga" capture. Automatic rack advance.

    1 coin = 3 credits, 1st bonus ship at 30k 2nd at 80k, but only if you started with just one coin, otherwise you only get 1 bonus ship at 30k.

    I found your blog researching what I was calling "Social Singularity" and discovered that quite a few people discovered it independently and define it differently.

    I like your definition, but the phenomenon is so much larger than that.

    Maybe I'll write a book.

    BTW, Galaga is my favorite game. It's all I ever play on MAME.

    --Ric

    P.S. No idea what "rack advance" is... :)

    ReplyDelete